Summary of the NIESR Business Conditions Forum July 2020 - Impact of Covid-19 on the UK economy
The topic for discussion was the impact of Covid-19 on the UK economy. The discussions were centred around the following questions:
• Are there any signs of consumer demand being lower than pre-Covid after lifting lockdown restrictions?
• Are we seeing any scarring to capacity e.g. bankruptcies?
• Have international supply chains been damaged? Are there signs of firms “re-shoring” production?
• How sustainable is the debt businesses have acquired? Are there signs of it weighing on recovery?
• Are any firms or sectors seeing potential expansion or efficiency gains from the pandemic e.g. from automation or government stimulus?