Originally established with two rooms and a library of 1200 books at 32 Gordon Square, NIESR remained in situ until the autumn of 1940 when the building was badly bombed.
After moving temporarily to 6 Duke Street, NIESR moved into its permanent home, 2 Dean Trench Street, in 1942 only to be struck by a flying bomb in July 1944. The site was reoccupied in late 1946, and in 1949 NIESR acquired 4 Dean Trench Street. It was not until 1951 that both houses were converted into one large building over three floors on the corner of Dean Trench Street and Tufton Street. The building is “well detailed neo-Georgian”, a row of 3 town houses from the early 1920s built of red brick with Portland stone dressings, with a tiled roof.
The Historic England listed building record includes details of its history, alongside its Grade 2 listing status. This Ordnance Survey map, published in 1895, shows the corner that NIESR now resides on occupied by a row of houses along Tufton Street into Dean Trench Street (or “Little Tufton Street”). By 1915, the corner was free of buildings, and Dean Trench Street was born.
Current Rental Opportunity
We have 10 rooms of various sizes on our 3rd floor available to rent. For further details please click on the button below and submit an enquiry: